+91-9819850971

Eye Care - Eye Care Questions

Dear Dr. Cyres a close friend underwent an umcomplicated cataract operation few months ago. Today he can see black spots moving in front of his eyes. They first appeared a few days after the surgery and then disappeared but now they are back. Why?

So what are floaters what causes them and is there any treatment ?

The eye is divided into 2 parts by the human lens. The front part which includes the brown colour of the eye and the cornea(the clear front window) is called the anterior chamber.

The anterior chamber of the eye contains a watery clear fluid described by the ancients as “Aqueous Humour”

Any inflammation (uveitis) or infection of the eye also causes inflammatory white cells to move around at the back of the eye causing floaters.

Just having Floaters is Harmless, But if you notice the following see the eye doctor immediately Sudden increase in the number of floaters.Could be a sign of early bleeding Flashes of light like lightning streaks or diwali sparkles – This means the jelly is detaching from the retina and is pulling on it. This is called posterior vitreous detachment and is harmless in 95 % of cases. In the other 5% a small retinal tear forms which may in the future lead to retinal detachments Dark curtain over a part of the vision – Early sign of Retinal detachment

FloatersTreatment: Just floaters need no treatment. Just a visit to the eye doctor where he will take a peep at the retina is enough. Floaters and flashes need detailed investigation as do the other symptoms like sudden increase in the number and the dark curtain, to rule out retinal detachment.

If the persons job involves very fine work and floaters keep bothering them we can insert a small needle less than half a millimeter into the eye and suck the jelly out.This is called sutureless 25G vitrectomy.

In conclusion if your friends floaters keep returning ask him to visit the eye doctor who will take a look at the retina.

Why does a persons eye pain. How to treat it?

The eye like any of the other organs of the body has a rich supply of nerves which feel pain.

Causes for pain in the eye:

Increased pressure – Could be Glaucoma. This can cause only a dull ache or a sharp pain moving upto the head. Check eye pressure to rule this out

Conjuctivitis or “pink eye”- this can cause a sore feeling of the eyes.

Inflammation of the eyes – UVEITIS – Deep stinging type of pain.

Optic neuritis – Inflammation of the optic nerve of the eye can lead to pain at the top part of the eye.

Sceritis is inflammation of the white of the eye – Piercing type of pain.

Finally just a tired eyeache- Due to wrong spectacles number, too much computer use or near activity in a wrong posture with bad lighting.

Treating the cause will solve the problem

Remember – Cataract & Retina Detachment are causes of Painless loss of Vision

Are cataracts occuring after vitrectomy, difficult to operate, due to vitreous support loss?

In the olden days the eye was cut open and the lens pushed out of the eye with pressure. After vitrectomy (removal of vitreous jelly from the eye) this was more difficult as the eye was not stiff enough. It led to collapse of the eye, bleeding etc.

Today the most modern cataract systems use powerful computers to determine flow in and out of the eye to keep the eye inflated with saline during surgery. As well we only go in through an incision less than 2 mm and sometimes only 0.7 mm depending on the case. Specialised settings are used to ensure safety.

To answer it succinctly – No, there is no problem nowadays and very little danger to the eye.

Copyright © Dr. Cyres Mehta 2014. All Rights Reserved | Site Designed & Maintained by Goradia Infotech